Skip to content

Your World Visa Partner Est 2021

Working in the US

Two types of practical training

There are two types of practical training

Curricular Practical Training: This type of employment is an integral part of an established curriculum and occurs prior to the completion of a degree program. It requires the approval of the DSO in SEVIS and on Form I-20. An EAD is not required.
 Optional Practical Training: This type of employment occurs during or after the completion of studies. The total period of employment may not exceed 12 months. An additional extension of 24 months is available to STEM graduates working for an e-Verify employer.


Who is not eligible for practical training?

 High school and English language program students are not eligible for practical training even if the program is part of a college or university.

Can J-1 students take jobs that are not related to their field of study?

The Exchange Visitor Program regulations allow for jobs on-campus that are related/unrelated to study, which stipulate that the work can be done “on the premises” of the school. 


When should international students apply for their SSN?

Once the international student has been approved for employment in the US and starts working, they need a Social Security Number (SSN). Students should wait until they are in the US for at least 10 days and have reported to their educational institution, before applying for a SSN

How much do international students have to be paid per hour?

International students should ensure they are paid at least the federal legal minimum wage, which is currently $7.25 per hour. 

6. Which employee rights and benefits are mandated by US law?

Some types of employee rights and benefits, such as minimum wage, overtime, leave under the Family Medical Leave Act, unemployment, and workers compensation and disability, are mandated under US law.


Do international students who earn income in the US have to pay US taxes?

International students who earn income in the US must file a tax return with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) by April 15 of the following year.