Skip to content

Your World Visa Partner Est 2021

Working Effectively (WEF)

Though it Take's some time Have a View!

Roles - International marketing

• Manager of International Marketing • Regional Manager - International Education • International Programs Coordinator • Study Abroad and Exchange Coordinator

Roles - International student administration:

• Manager International Student Admissions • International Student Admissions Coordinator/Officer • AusAID Liaison Officer (ALO) • International Student Orientation Program Coordinator • Director of Studies • International Student Academic Adviser • Teachers

Roles – International Relations & Development:

• Manager of International Relations • Project Officer

Roles - Executive positions:

• Vice-Chancellor • Deputy Vice-Chancellor(International) • International Director • ELICOS/College Director • Principal

Roles - International student support:

• Manager of International Student Support Services • International Student Adviser • Accommodation Officer • Student Union Officer - International Student Programs

Pastoral Care Issues

Though it Take's some time Have a View!


All education providers have systems of pastoral care for students. How they organise these depends on the size of the provider and the educational sector.

What are the resources of these Systems?

• specialised staff; • a student support office; • a communication system to let students and staff know where help may be found; • physical facilities such as student drop-in centres, lounges and information boards placed in locations where students gather

Facilities and services

Pastoral care facilities are varied in the way they are managed and who manages them. Universities, colleges and schools have student support staff who are located in student support units, and within faculties and departments.

Student Counsellors

Student Counsellors may be the same people as International Student Advisers, but generally the term ‘counsellor is a person specialised in psychological welfare, mental health and sometimes cross-cultural issues.

Support specialists

Many large providers employ specialist support staff to help students with disabilities and other issues. Universities are obliged to provide this kind of support. This might include: • note-takers for deaf students; • wheelchair access to buildings; • special learning support; • special support at exam time

Accommodation officers

Many students find that rental accommodation, living in homestay arrangements and balancing budgets are stressful. In most large institutions there will be Accommodation Officers who can assist and advise students with these problems.

Community support personnel

Along with special staff in universities colleges and schools, many support personnel in the community can provide services to students. These include: • Health professionals; • Counsellors; • Religious groups and churches; • Municipal support (eg. town councils); • Ethnic and cultural groups; • Consulates; • National-based associations.

Legal enforcement workers

Security staff at many large colleges and universities are trained to help international students when in trouble, or when they feel their security is threatened. Students who report threats, crimes, or any other issues to security staff, police, or staff at their education institution have the right to have these issues kept confidential.

What is indirect way Pastoral care facilities?

An indirect way pastoral care is managed by education providers is the encouragement of 'campus life', it covers the whole experience students have when they come to university or school.


Pastoral care services are often located with residential facilities, so that students can access help after hours. Many residential colleges have a person employed to assist students.

Support people

In secondary schools, these support people may be teaching staff with additional responsibilities.

What should students be encouraged of?

To seek help from specialised staff as soon as they think they need it; And to take the opportunity to learn about living & studying in Australia before/after they arrive

International Student Adviser

An International Student Adviser has a range of responsibilities, and often provides the first point of contact for students seeking advice on a range of matters.

Learning and language support personnel

A key part of pastoral care for international students is the support available for their academic studies. Language and learning support can assist in the following areas • Studying in an Australian education environment; • Developing independent learning skills; • Writing essays and assignments; • Participating in tutorials; • Giving presentations; • Doing research and using libraries

Student organizations

On all university campuses and in many colleges student groups are active to represent the interests of the students enrolled. For international students these include • Cultural groups; • National groups; • Special interest groups; • Postgraduate groups; • Religious groups


Though it Take's some time Have a View!


Students generally are most interested in the pre-arrival and on-arrival information they receive at these briefings, so information should be briefed relating to: • settling in; • finding accommodation; • what to expect in a new country

Spouse and partner program

Partners and children of students often need support, and they are often isolated if they are not working or connected to their local communities. These programs aim to provide informal networks for these individuals.


Orientation programs for large universities are often published on the university's website to inform students what is available to them. Other providers send orientation information with the eCoE, and most will have this information available upon request.

Returning home program

It is recommended that international students participate in a returning home program, especially if they are studying at university.